Saturday 14 June 2014

World Cup - Preditions Groups C & D

For a moment yesterday, I thought I was God. 

I had already correctly predicted the exact scoreline of the Mexico vs Cameroon game and Holland had just taken the lead against Spain to make it 2-1. I had predicted that game be 2-2, and I was certain that that was how it would end up.

Alas, I don't think anybody could have predicted what happened next - and if they did, I hope they put some money on it.

Spain got whipped. Absolutely annihilated. They totally fell apart and lost 5-1.. Here is what Rio Ferdinand had to say on twitter about that;


and fair play to them.

The other game I predicted a 3-0 win for Chile over Australia, and it turned out to be 3-1 so I think I did pretty well! One exact scoreline correct, another correct result and a random "what the fuck" result that nobody would've seen coming.

So here are my predictions for today's matches;

Colombia vs Greece
This is an interesting one. Greece are a difficult team to break down, and despite trying to change their style in recent times, have reverted back to their 'blag it 1-0' tactic that won the Euros a few years back. Colombia on the other hand are a mixed bag - but with 4 players from the original squad out with injury, as well as Fredy Guarin being suspended, they could find this game against Greece more difficult than they'd like. Colombia are still the favourites for this one, but I don't think it'll be a comfortable game.
Prediction: Colombia 1-0 Greece

Uruguay vs Costa Rica
With odds to win the tournament of 2500/1, it's fair to say that Costa Rica are predicted to do pretty badly at this World Cup. I'd like to think they'll give Uruguay a run for their money, but in reality Suarez and Cavani will be far too much for the Costa Rica defence to handle. 
Predition: Uruguay 4-0 Costa Rica

England vs Italy
Big game this, and one that neither team can really afford to lose. Because of that, I think we're in for 70 minutes of boredom followed by 20 minutes of penetration once some substitutes are made. England are confident, but I fear that Balotelli will thrive in this sort of game. I'm going to sit on the fence here.
Prediction: England 0-0 Italy

Japan vs Ivory Coast
I don't think there will be many people staying up until 4am to watch this game, and I can't really tell you much about the teams. Ivory Coast disappointed in the last World Cup, and have essentially the same team but four years older. Japan have some tricky players and have always been a potential banana skin. I reckon that the likes of Drogba and Bony will overpower the Japanese here, bullying them into defeat.
Prediction: Japan 1-3 Ivory Coast

No comments:

Post a Comment