Monday 14 July 2014

So How Close Was I To Being Correct?

Ok, let's face it. My post here was a little tongue in cheek, and in reality I got 0 out of 3 correct..

The major thing I got incorrect was that I didn't predict that for the first time in history, the World Cup held in South America would be won by a European team.. However, my thought process wasn't a million miles off for the rest of it.

Winners: Germany
Prediction: Brazil

I predicted that Brazil would win the World Cup.. I was wrong. They were utterly hammered by the eventual winners in the Semi Finals. I can't really defend that.

Runners Up: Argentina
Prediction: Germany

I had predicted that not only would there be a Europe vs South America final, but also that Germany would be the team representing Europe. I would argue that had Brazil been on the other side of the draw, the final could well have been Brazil vs Germany but as they both won their groups that was deemed impossible. If you read my original thread too, I toy with the idea of putting Argentina there and state that the only reason I chose Brazil was because of home advantage. So yes, I was wrong but I was close to being right.

Top Scorer: James Rodriquez
Prediction: Edin Dzeko

Now, I was completely wrong with my answer here. I had Bosnia down to be a dark horse. They scored plenty in qualifying and Dzeko was their top scorer. They should've breezed past Nigeria and Iran but alas, they didn't. Unfortunately he ended the tournament with 1 goal to his name, and Bosnia never made it out of their group.

However - I was correct to state that the top scorer is likely to be playing for a team that does not compete in the final. In fact, James Rodriguez didn't even play in the Semis... So my thought process was correct, but my decision making was a bit off.

No comments:

Post a Comment