Friday 18 July 2014

My name is Joe, and I am a Football Managerholic

So the day is Thursday 18th July, the glorious sun is shining through my window and it is my day off from work. My beautiful partner has gone to work and I am home alone.

There are many things I could do with my day - whether it be strolling in the park, having a quiet read on the balcony or meeting up with a friend for lunch... But no. My sole focus is to get Crewe Alexandra promoted from League 1.

 

Let me explain myself.

I have been a massive fan of the Football Manager series for about 10 years now. I have spent hours/weeks/months on that game steadily building a solid foundation for any given team. I have won everything there is to win, and I have been heartbroken when losing to that gutting goal in the final minute that my keeper most definitely should've saved! I have been there. I have even played the Champions League theme tune through my phone as my players come out onto the pitch. I have felt every minute, and I have loved it...

There is nothing more satisfying than seeing that youth team player you have produced grow into one of the World's best players. To see him get called into the international squad for the first time, and for him to thank you when getting his first international cap or goal. The feeling of finding that elusive gem playing away in the depths of a Scandinavian league and giving him his chance at the big time - to see him score the winner in the FA Cup Final! To have one of your legendary players retire and then elect to become your Assistant Manager so that you can continue your friendship.

These characters are not simply fake little players running around. They are my players. They are people, and they have personalities to go with it. I imagine they have fake little families, and are friends with all the other fake little players.

...and this is why I am an addict.

But I don't care. Yes the sun is shining, yes there are a million things to do, but young Stevie Harrison has just come into the youth team, and he is going to be my star for years to come! I must make him a star!!

Only a few people will really understand this, but those who do will completely appreciate where I'm coming from. The rest of you can think I'm mental, that's fine. I have a legacy to complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment