Thursday 7 August 2014

PL Predictions - Top 5

I love a good prediction, and so I'm going to go through my predicted final standings of the PL for the upcoming season, starting here with my Top 5.

In first place, I have Chelsea. I think Mourinho has a squad full of depth and talent, having shipped out some deadwood over the past few months and he has a squad that should really be winning the title. They have two top class players in each position, though they do struggle a bit with strikers, but Drogba coming back to breathe down the necks of Torres and Costa should be enough to see them bang in a few goals. I'd love to see them play some of the younger forwards (Izzy Brown, Patrick Bamford) though I imagine they'll be sent out on loan instead. I think Fabregas is the signing of the summer, and will solidify a midfield that contains a huge amount of flair and skill.

Second place this yea I reckon will go to Manchester United. A new system and a new ethos this year will see a team itching to prove themselves. Louis van Gaal is a proven winner and has managed the largest clubs across Europe. Some of their current crop will have to adjust into their new roles - but once they find their feet, they'll be tricky to beat. I'd like them to bring in Cuadrado to play as a wing back, and perhaps an experienced central defender to give them options (Yepes?). rather than relying on Jones, Evans and Smalling. It will also benefit them hugely that they won't be playing in Europe this year when all of their competitors will be, and so I think it'll be a shootout between them and Chelsea for the title.

In third place I have the reigning champions. Manchester City will be there or therabouts - but I think they'll just miss out. Without Yaya Toure last season, they wouldn't have won the title, and I get the impression that he isn't as passionate this year as he has been in the past. They'll need more goals from the likes of Silva and Nasri to keep with the pace, and I think they'll run it close - but I just don't think they'll have the game changing moments to win it this time round. I also think they'll focus heavily on the Champion's League having not really impressed in Europe for the last few seasons, and if you compare squads with Chelsea, you can see that the depth for City just isn't quite there yet.

Fourth, and I believe a few points behind, will be Arsenal. They are comfortably the 4th best team in England and have been now for a few years. Alexis Sanchez is a great signing, and between him, Ozil, Walcott and Oxlade-Chamberlain they have some very skilled players - but they still lack a decent holding midfielder, and I reckon they could do with a whole new back line. Should Joel Campbell play to his potential in the PL they will do well, but otherwise they're relying on Giroud again and I don't think he's really up to it. 

In fifth I have Liverpool. They have spent millions since Suarez left in a similar way to Spurs splashing the cash once Bale left - and I think it'll be a similar result. I don't think Rodgers will get sacked, but I also don't think Lallana, Lambert, Markovic, Can and Lovren are really inspirational signings. It is rumoured they are looking at Falcao, who would be an incredible signing but in reality it's not going to happen so I think a safe 5th works for them. They're better than the teams below, but won't keep pace with those above, and they will have Champions League football to contend with this season.


Joe's Top 5
 
1. Chelsea
2. Manchester United
3. Manchester City
4. Arsenal
5. Liverpool


No comments:

Post a Comment