Thursday 24 April 2014

50 days until the World Cup

The Premiership is almost over, teams across the country are celebrating promotion or consoling themselves after being relegated, and there are teams making a last ditch effort to claim the playoff places. Summer is right around the corner - and it is now just 50 days until the World Cup!


As an Englishman in his 20s, I have never seen the national team taste success. I have been wrapped up in the patriotic optimism that sweeps the nation before these tournaments, and suffered the inevitable disappointment that swiftly follows... But I love it. I can't help but get excited. I know that it'll end in frustration, but I don't care - the anticipation during the build up is addictive, and this year is no different.

Since the last World Cup, my life has changed a huge amount. I have changed jobs twice, found a girlfriend, moved house with her and got engaged - but the best bit of all, she's Colombian! I have two teams to follow in this World Cup for the first time ever! Double the anticipation and excitement, and inevitably double the disappointment (but that can wait). Twice as much blind optimism and the possibility that England might just play Colombia in the knock out stages.

With Colombia in Group C, and England in Group D - it isn't out of the realms of possibility for the teams to meet in the first knockout round. For this to happen Colombia need to win their group with England coming second in theirs. Alternatively, England can win their group and Colombia finish second.. If this does not happen, the only time afterwards they can meet would be in the World Cup Final - can you imagine?!?! 


No.. I can't imagine either.


Colombia are currently sweating on the fitness of their star striker, Radamel Falcao, who managed to damage his cruciate ligament in a cup game a few months back - and he's still a little way from recovery. He'd be a huge loss to the Colombian national team and would ultimately make them considerably weaker. That said, I'm still expecting them to qualify from their group with some ease - I don't think Japan, Greece or Ivory Coast will prove too much of a threat.

England on the other hand don't really have a star man. They're a team in transition with a few young players hoping to get the chance. Personally, I'd like to see the likes of Shaw, Sterling and Barkley given a chance to show themselves on the World stage, but that largely depends on how brave Hodgson is with his squad selection. Either way we'll do well to qualify. I'd say Uruguay are favourites to top our group, and it'll be between England and Italy as to who claims the second spot. Our first game happens to be against Italy, a game which I'm predicting a drab 0-0 which means the games against Uruguay and Costa Rica will be very important.


But we'll see! I don't know any more than anyone else, and I don't have a crystal ball. My mind and opinions will change, but hopes will fluctuate and I'll place some optimistic bets that I have backed up by convincing myself that I know what I'm on about.

More than anything I will enjoy it, and I can't bloody wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment