Tuesday 13 May 2014

The Crewe Philosophy



I'm proud to be a Crewe fan. I'm proud that we tend to blood local youngsters and have a reputation for developing local lads into first team regulars, and potential England stars.

With that in mind, here are some players I'd like you to keep an eye on in the future, who I hope will have a breakthrough season next year;

Ryan 'Coco' Colclough - I first saw him play in the JPT Final last year, and thought he looked excellent for the time he was on the pitch. Unfortunately he has struggled with injuries this season, but will hopefully kick on in 2014/15 and prove himself to be a very valuable asset. I can imagine him making the step up to the Premiership in the next few years.

Matt Tootle - A hard working fullback who can play on either side, and Crewe's player of the season last year. At 23 he should be ready now to test himself in the Championship or Premiership. Would like to see someone take a punt on him, and I can imagine him going to a team like Burnley or Huddersfield. Maybe even one for Aston Villa, following his former teammate Ashley Westwood there.

George Ray - A tall central defender, who also plays for the Wales U21 squad. I like the look of this kid, but he's got a few more years to develop yet. I'm hoping he gets to be first choice centre back for this coming season, and who knows where he can go from there?

I've intentionally left out Max Clayton as I don't think he'll quite cut it. He reminds me a little of a young Nicky Maynard, who managed to put the ball in the net regularly but never quite filled his potential. I like the kid and think he'll do something with his career, but he hasn't yet been a 20-goal kind of forward and if he can't do that at Crewe, I worry whether he can do that on a bigger stage. His contract is up this summer, and it is unknown as yet whether he'll stay on. I hope he does, and I hope he proves me wrong as he needs a big season before moving away.

No comments:

Post a Comment