Friday 30 June 2017

Day 65

Bit of a leap since my last update!

Yesterday was a huge day for us. Our 12 week scan.. It actually came up on what we thought was our 13th week, and during the scan we discovered that we're closer to 14 weeks! 

The scan itself wasn't booked until 15:45. I'd booked the day off work as holiday, making excuses for wanting to enjoy the Bank Holiday weekend, having worked on Sunday. Jackeline had to work a half day, and took the afternoon off with a Doctor's appointment. She'd applied for holiday already but was denied.

The day itself dragged! I was at home alone, not knowing what to do with myself. I ended up leaving 10 minutes early for the train, just because I couldn't wait any longer.

We arrived 2 hours early so went to get lunch from Nando's. The excitement was starting to build.

After finishing our food, we headed towards the building where the scan takes place. We were still 30 minutes early, but we just couldn't wait any longer.

We were called through at half 3, so we did get seen early. I was kept outside whilst they took blood from Jackeline, and I assumed measured her height/weight and blood pressure. A short wait after that, we were taken into a quiet room where the scan was to take place.

It was just unreal.

They applied the gel below Jackeline's belly button, and then we could see it. Our baby. It's real.

The heart was beating, and it kept stretching its legs out. Every now and then it'd look like it jumped, and was giving the lady a hard time scanning it because it just wouldn't stay still!

I'm going to refer to 'it' as a female from now on, because that's what I've decided she is.

We just both stared at this screen, smiles on our faces. We held hands, felt a bit emotional. I could've stayed there all day watching this little miracle, her tiny feet, her hands. We could see her profile so clearly, it was just fascinating. An experience that is just so insane, I fell in love.

We asked if we could get printouts of the images, but they weren't available so I took a couple of pictures on my phone and kept them. 

As far as they can tell at this early stage, our baby is perfectly healthy. They can never say 100%, but they found no warning signs of anything major. She was measured, and the midwife lady said that Jackeline must be around 13 weeks and 6 days pregnant - making today the 14 week mark, and the due date 18th October.

All very exciting, and now we're going to start telling people.

My Dad is swinging by on Friday night, and then Jackeline and I are heading down to see my sister. Not sure whether my Mum will be there or not, but I hope she is because otherwise I'll be telling her over the phone. 

Jackeline was going to tell her Mum last night, but it got too late. We'll see what tonight brings, I hope we can be celebrating on facetime with a few people in Colombia later on!

We're very cautious about everyone finding out, and hope that our friends and family respect our wishes to keep it off of social media. No amount of 'likes' will make it worthwhile. We want to be in control of who finds out when, because if, for instance, someone finds out on facebook before we've been able to tell them ourselves, we'll be gutted.

Anyway, that's it for today. Don't know when I'll update next.. Things are very real now, and I have a new love in my life. It's SO magical.

No comments:

Post a Comment